Muscle Building Diet & Supplement Tips
Regardless of your specific fitness goals, you probably want to learn how to build new muscle. Check out this article for some great muscle building diet and supplement tips.
Regardless of your specific fitness goals, you probably want to learn how to build new muscle.
Building muscle is important for so many reasons. It will help you increase your metabolism over the long-term, which means it will aid in weight loss. It also helps improve strength, balance, and posture.
And of course, building muscle mass helps in your overall appearance. Whether you’re a man or a woman, lean muscle mass helps you look more fit, toned, and overall in better shape.It will also keep you looking younger!
While weight training is one of the keys to building muscle, you can’t do it without the proper diet. Once you have a solid weight training routine planned out – I recommend hitting the gym at least 4 days a week for 60 minutes each – you need to maximize your diet for optimal muscle building.
Diet is important because without diet, you won’t provide your muscles with the fuel they need. Muscle growth depends on amino acids, the building blocks of our muscles. It’s estimated that approximately 1 gram of protein is needed per pound of body weight every day! That’s a lot of protein, if your goal is to build new muscle.
The other trick to an effective muscle building diet is getting diverse sources of protein. Different protein sources contain different types and combinations of amino acids, and your muscles need a variety of amino acids for optimal growth. Typically, animal protein contains the most complete amino acid complex, while plant protein contains the least complete. But all options can be effective in combination.
First, let’s start with some tips for increasing your protein intake.
Muscle Building Diet Tips
- Start your day with a solid serving of protein. I recommend getting at least 20 to 30 grams of protein within an hour of waking up. This will help fuel your muscles throughout the day. Protein shakes and eggs can be especially helpful at this time of day. For a good protein supplement, I’d recommend Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion or Optimum 100% Whey.
- Include a serving of protein in every meal. I would say that every major meal should include at least 20 grams of protein. This can come from lean meats like poultry or healthy seafood options like salmon or tuna.
- Snack on protein. This doesn’t mean your entire snack should be protein, but just like your meals, your snacks should include some protein. Nuts, fat-free Greek yogurt, and hard-boiled eggs are all great options for muscle building snacks. You can also invest in a tasty protein bar like Promax Protein Bars, or just go for a protein shake.
- Eat a variety of protein sources. In order to get a good combination and variety of amino acids, which will help build more lean muscle, you should always try to get a variety of protein sources in your diet. Here are just a few of the options you have: eggs, dairy, yogurt, cottage cheese, soy products, lean meats and poultry, fish and seafood, nuts, legumes, quinoa, hummus, and the list goes on! So throughout your day, try to change up your protein options. When in doubt, go for lean meats, seafood, or dairy.
- If you’re vegan, use a protein supplement. For those who are vegetarian or vegan, I highly recommend using a protein supplement. If you’re vegan, there are some options out there for you. Check out Organic Food Bar – Protein.
Muscle Building Diet – Meal Ideas
Muscle Building Breakfast Idea
3 egg whites scrambled, 1 slice whole grain or flaxseed toast, 1/2 a grapefruit with some Stevia, protein shake on the go.
Muscle Building Lunch Idea
Spinach wrap with lean turkey slices (5 or 6), low fat mozzarella, 1 tbsp honey mustard, organic greens, yellow pepper slices, cucumber slices, and rosemary flakes.
Muscle Building Dinner Idea
Red-Vino Grilled Salmon – Ingredients: 1 shallot, minced, 1/2 cup red wine, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/2 stick salted butter, softened, 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste, 2 fillets of salmon (preferably wild), 6 oz each, olive oil. Directions: Combine condiments and grill salmon in wine reduction.
Muscle Building Diet Supplements
If you’re looking for that extra muscle building kick in your diet, then I recommend including some of the following supplements. These can really do amazing things for lean muscle growth.
- A pre-workout booster for energy and endurance, to help you get that extra pump. Check out USPLabs Jack3d.
- MusclePharm Assault is a pre-workout supplement to help increase energy and endurance levels. This supplement will get you jacked up and performing at your peak muscle building levels!
- An intra-workout supplement for improving muscle endurance and recovery. Check out Scivation Xtend.
- A glutamine supplement to preserve muscle mass and maximize your results. Check out Optimum Glutamine.
- A night-time recovery supplement to improve sleep and muscle restoration. Check out Shut-Eye.
Muscle Building Diet Conclusion
So there you have it, some tips and ideas to help you get started with your muscle building diet. This diet’s not only good for building muscle, but also a great option if your goal is weight loss. Protein helps curb cravings and keep you feeling full for longer! I don’t recommend a no-carb diet, but a high-protein diet is definitely key to your fitness goals!
Enjoy this article?
If so, then GET MORE. Join over 15,000 subscribers who receive our newsletter filled with articles, tips, motivation and more... sent directly to your email for FREE!